Sunday, March 14, 2010

BULLYING

What can I say??? There have been one too many signs this year that have led me to think that this topic needs to be in our face…

I have now come to think of bullying as a societal disorder because by one definition, bullying means “To treat in an overbearing or intimidating manner.”

A bully is, by one definition, “A person who is habitually cruel or overbearing, especially to smaller or weaker people” You must understand bullying can cause irreparable harm on all physical, mental and emotional levels.

The reality is that it has always existed and always will. While reading that definition doesn’t it feel like you now have your eyes opened to the fact that we know or knew a bully and that we are unnecessarily putting up with this bull??? Unfortunately, we know via 24 hour access to the News that it can traumatize one for life or even so much as cause one to kill themselves and or others.

The difference WE can make lies in OUR society choosing to get involved as opposed to choosing to be a bystander (maybe not so innocent). I think that you will agree with me that bullying can and has led to hate crimes and ought to no longer be acceptable in our society. Nobody as a child thinks…”When I grow up, I want to be a bully”…By our society’s standards, it is acceptable to just stay out of it and not get involved because then we would most likely risk losing our or our children’s social status and that would just suck for us, wouldn’t it??.. Imagine that…Somebody having that much power over a group of individuals, be it work, home, school, Cyber space, extracurricular activities and even houses of worship. It’s socially acceptable to think that if one, heaven forbid, defend the bullied, they not only risk losing the friendship of everybody in that community but the risk that the hate continues and possibly manifests itself.

To drive these points home…One of my school friends told me this story last year. This nurturing friend of mine told me that she does not encourage her child to get involved in any type of bullying situation because as I stated earlier, her child will lose her friends. This real life event took place last year. A student was being mentally tortured by her classmates during a school play…Come on now…The teacher I was told couldn’t handle the situation well and thankfully this child has moved on to bigger and hopefully better things

Last week a friend of my son’s, “X”, told me that he was called retarded in summer camp last year…He was called this antiquated label by not only his fellow campers but by one of his counselors as well. Are we living in the 70’s people???? This “R” word is forbidden to be spoken of in my Special Needs world and I am a not only an advocate for my family but for others as well.


The other evening I was online with a Face book friend and learned that her child was being pushed down the stairs in school on a daily basis and nobody is stepping in!

Another child I learned was being pushed off a chair by a teacher and Principal because they have a health issue that causes them to fall asleep in school. Whatever happened to the “Pal” in Principal???

Think about this for those who feel less threatened by not getting involved….Wouldn’t you want somebody to help you or a loved one if they were being bullied??? Would you really want them to turn their back on you or your loved one and just move on??? ANYBODY, anytime, anywhere is susceptible to being bullied. I have quoted this before and I will quote it again….”We’re all in this together” (Well said HSM 1)!

We ARE accountable for not being strong enough to put a stop to the bullying in our communities. We all play a part in contributing to the wellbeing of others some of who could be our future leaders.

What would it take for you to join me in stopping this madness??? Do we really want to be responsible for our child ridiculing another for not wearing Uggs or Juicy??? It has happened!

I just find it bizarre that even today, going to the rescue of somebody in need is frowned upon by their peers. In blogging this, it all sounds so ridiculous yet we know its not, it’s very real and unfortunately it’s not going away any time soon unless we take a stand as a united front stop this insanity and teach our children well. It all starts at home and we know it…If not then how is it possible for me, and countless others to get picked on as children over their last name. How is it possible that in Kindergarten, my seven year daughter was told that sparkly pink boots were out of style and has since refused to wear them to school???? We as humans can ignore or turn a blind eye only so far…

Won’t you take stand and put the “bull” in bullying because isn’t this exactly what it is???….A BUNCH OF BULL!

Here are some links I think you might find helpful if not for yourself then maybe for somebody else:

Bullying At School

http://www.ask.com/web?q=Bullying+at+School&o=10472&l=dir&ef_id=1370:1:2412283121c103a5ac0be19ba2b46452_31311427011_231864052511:S5x4G9BbricAAC90J3sAAAFA:20100314054603

Office Bullying

http://www.livescience.com/health/070329_bully_tips.html


10 Signs You’re Being Bullied At Work:

http://www.forbes.com/2008/03/22/health-bullying-office-forbeslife- cx_avd_0324health.html

Bullying In Family and Social Relationships

http://www.bullyonline.org/familybully/index.htm


If any of the above information is helpful to at least one person, then I will know I spent my time well  Unfortunately, you might have to copy and paste the entire link should you not be able to click on the links themselves

No comments:

Post a Comment