Wednesday, February 24, 2010

More About Growing Pains

I don’t know…..My family and I were vacationing in Arizona last week and in some ways it felt like I wasn’t on vacation. Although I was I was out of my daily routine and having fun, I still had the usual daily thoughts validated by a recent conversation with one of my friends. All my thoughts go back to my children...Will they be ok??

My son Kevin (oh why not reveal his name, just don’t tell any kids ) is going into 3rd Grade and is what one would call a “student”. I am seeing his struggles though, as he is not having as much fun learning as the work is getting more challenging.

My daughter Sara (again, her name is just between us and not the kids ) is going into 2nd grade and so far so good although I wonder if she would benefit from a semi academic setting over the summer so she doesn’t have any setbacks.

I am told both kids are doing well socially and academically and I yet I ponder the future. KEVIN IS GOING INTO 4TH GRADE!!!!!!!! SARA IS GOING INTO 2ND GRADE...It ain’t gonna get any easier folks. Not that parenting is easy but it is without any doubt a joy I have never taken for granted and feel privileged to experience, tears and all! The other night while discussing Kevin’s upcoming 3rd Grade Science project, Kevin told me that “things are different then when I was little”. No kidding!

I wonder though..What does the future hold for these kids??? Will they feel confident enough to say “NO”????? Will they have teachers who can really measure up to OUR definition of teaching? Will my children be able to handle the peer pressure with dignity and yet still have a nice group of friends who accept them for who they are??? What is it going to be like when my kids hit puberty?? The whole locker room scene, both of them…I was a late bloomer (heck I feel like I am still blooming ), what if my kids are as well?? They both seem like they have the guts to say GFYS! When Kevin came home from camp one afternoon two summers ago, he complained that his hands were too small. WTF??? It was 2008…Who comes up with this stuff??? He was 6 years old at the time for crying out loud…

What is our world coming to when my child is concerned about the size of his HANDS and my daughter in KINDERGARTEN was told upon wearing her new sparkle boots, that sparkles aren’t “in” anymore…It’s Kindergarten, but, that’s where I was told at a parent meeting, “it” all starts.. Who knew???

All I can do is lay down the foundation for success by, along with other things, giving them strategies and guidance and pray for the best possible outcome.

I am feeling optimistic with the support systems in the schools yet I still worry Don’t you????

1 comment:

  1. I worry each and every day about my daughter and will she "fit in" does she have the "in clothes" and when at 6 she asks for Juicy Jeans cause so and so has them and she wants to be a part of their group but can't be cause she does not own Juicy Jeans my heart aches for her. If this is what kids talk about at age 6 I wonder what will happen at age 16.

    I try to set a good no a great example for her and all I can hope is that I am doing the right think by her and how I am raising her.

    ReplyDelete